Live.Love.Laugh

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hands of Time













Have you ever wondered about how time passes by. Sometimes it can seem like there’s not enough time in the day to do everything you have to do and other times it just seems like time is literally crawling at a snails pace.

Today i did nothing. Literally Nothing. I laid in bed, got up a few times to eat and came back to bed. As i was in bed, it occurred to me that I've been in Greece already 4 weeks and i didn’t even realize it. Granted sometimes during the week, it seemed like time could definitely go faster and it was just taking its time. Or sometime the day would be over before i got any of my work done.

But i looked back and realized I'd been here four weeks and i didn’t feel like i had anything to show for it. As humans we feel the need to know that we haven’t wasted our precious time on this earth. That we accomplished something in the time we’ve spent here on earth. Whether it be knowing you accomplished something meaningful in one day, one week, one month or in my case one semester abroad. Don’t get me wrong, I've been doing a lot that would be considered using my time wisely, but as my biggest critic, i had higher expectations for myself on what i wanted to accomplish my first time abroad and I've been slacking. I’ve been too busy  watching the hands of time go by. Trying to make it move faster so that i can get to the point where i want it to be….December 18.

In doing that I've been drawing out time longer than it actually goes by. Its like when you count down minutes or hours, it always seems longer than when you’re actually living time and doing something with it besides watching it. So by unconsciously counting down, I've been making things longer than they actually are.


Today i learnt. Today i learnt to leave time alone and let it go at its own pace. Its not slowing down for me, hurrying up for me or even waiting for me to catch up. Its just going. And if i really want to make the best use of my time, i have to start living time. If i want to live up to my expectations of what i want to experience my first time abroad, i have to stop watching time. If i want to leave my mark on this trip, i have to start loving time and making the most of it. Even if that means not doing anything with my time or doing the most i can with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment