Live.Love.Laugh

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

HaPpiNesS


I’ve never thought to define happiness. But today i actually felt happiness and the need to define it. Today was one of those days that started off majorly stressful with a lot on my plate to do, all before 9 am. I had to lead a discussing in the class i TA and i had my first Greek quiz right after and i hadn’t studied. Upon finishing all that i had to get back to the office and start on my to-do list and try to finish as much as possible before 3. Then i left work and had the unfortunate pleasure of waiting for the bus, getting crowded on it and having my personal space invaded. I finally got home and thought I’d be able to take a nap….but no, i had work to do, so there was no nap. Overall, not my definition of happiness. Then just one thing happened, just one simple conversation and immediately my day was brightened. I immediately felt happy from the beginning of the conversation to the end, even when we were arguing and disagreeing on things, just because i got to see his face and hear his voice.

For me, all this made me happy and i wanted to define that feeling…..just because that’s the type of person i am. I wanted to be able to document the meaning of this feeling so that i could revisit it in the future and come back to this same place that i am right now.

At first i thought happiness is when you’re lazing around on a hot summer day either in the pool or posted in from of the tv on a couch with the remote and snacks within reaching distance.

Or when you spend hours telling meaningless stories with your friends and laughing until tears are pouring down your face.

It could also be that sense of accomplishment you get from finally getting the grade you deserve on a test or quiz after days of nonstop studying.

Or when you go shopping and find the perfect dress or outfit at half the normal cost and it fits perfectly.

How about when you find the perfect book and get lost in it, feeling like you’re actually in the book and the characters are your friends.

Or when you find your private, personal place in a city where you can always go and be alone and find yourself.

I also saw it as long walks to no where, just strolling along, watching everything and absorbing the humanity around you.

When you hear a story of someone finding and getting everything they deserve in life after years of suffering and pain.

When you hear and see that someone you care about is happy and you contributed to that.

All these are my definitions of happiness but today i discovered a new one.

Today happiness to me was defined as when you got to see and talk to someone you hadn’t gotten a chance to talk to and see in a while. Someone who mattered. And in that conversation every moment seemed like a gift. Every word a treasure. Every smile a blessing. And there was pure contentedness from just being in that person’s presence. So, when the time came to say goodbye, even  though it was hard, the sheer happiness from that conversation was going to be enough……….until next time.
The amount of happiness that you have depends on the amount of freedom you have in your heart.                       Thich Nhat Hanh

No comments:

Post a Comment