Live.Love.Laugh

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to Basics

My boss sent me an email with this song in it because she thought i’d love it and she was right. I do love it. In fact i loved it so much that i felt inspired to talk about it. The message of this song is absolutely admirable. In an age where little black girls are getting perms as young as 3 and they are learning the concept of good hair versus bad hair this is a breath of fresh hair ( haha)

Don’t need a trip to the beauty shop,
’cause I love what I got on top.
It’s curly and it’s brown and it’s right up there!
You know what I love? That’s right, my hair!
I really love my hair.
I love my hair. I love my hair.
There’s nothing else that can compare with my hair.
I love my hair, so I must declare:
I really, really, really love my hair.
Wear a clippy or in a bow
Or let it sit in an afro
My hair looks good in a cornrow
It does so many things you know, that’s why I let it grow
I love my hair, I love my hair
I love it and I have to share
I love my hair, I love my hair!
I want to make the world aware I love my hair.
I wear it up. I wear down. I wear it twisted all around.
I wear braids and pigtails too.
I love all the things my hair can do.
In barrettes or flying free, ever perfect tresses you’ll see
My hair is part of me, an awesome part of me
I really love my hair!

As hair is the pride of any woman, especially i feel black women, we should have the courage to wear our pride naturally. We shouldn’t look down on our hair because of its difference but rather accept it for its difference and versatility. The same way we want that wavy smooth, commercial shiny hair, is the same way someone wants our kinky, versatile, hair that can be change every week into a different style.

In fact the different things we can do with our hair as black women is form of artistic expression. I mean why is it that we have hair shows now, its to show what can be done with hair. Even looking at the lyrics we can see a small snippet of the things that can be done to our hair. We are lucky enough to  have options. Whether it be dreads, braids, cornrows, natural curls, short cuts, twists, or  fros. We can do it all, and most of it naturally. In fact at one point or another, we have done it all including the ones involving chemicals that is damaging to our hair. I can speak for myself when i say that i’ve tried it all. I’ve been through the stage where i loved my hair and then hated it. I permed it, cut it, let it grow naturally, texturized it, straightened it, let out in a fro, got cornrows, braids, weaves, I’ve even worn a wig. All because i wanted my hair to look like what the media considered beauty. And through it all even though i loved my current hair style every time i had something done, that feeling never lasted and  i can’t ever say that i’ve loved my hair. I’m not criticizing or judging those that aren’t natural or have perms, because if i was i’d be a hypocrite. I’m just saying i feel that there is more pride to be gotten when you carry your hair naturally, can have a natural style and can proudly proclaim that “YES….THIS IS MY HAIR”

More so, your hair is healthier when its less processed and why shouldn’t being healthy in body and mind include our hair.

Its time to get back to the stage where we really love our hair. And i mean OUR HAIR and in loving our hair we can take better care of it. If we can be happy with our outward appearance it makes it easier to be happy with your inside as well. So even though as india arie said

I am not my hair
I ma not this skin
I am a soul that lives within

Being happy with our hair can go a long way towards letting us be happy with ourselves, building up better self esteem and facing the world with a more positive attitude. And that can start as easy as this song

I want to make the world aware I love my hair………. 
My hair is part of me, an awesome part of me
I really love my hair!

Lets start loving our hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment